Blogpost #12

 Over the course of my life, I can certainly say that the older I've gotten, the more I've used technology in my day to day life. It's all around us. Our phones, cell towers, house appliances, our cars, everything really. With this flux of technology in my life that continues to grow as I get older, and as technology advances, I should be wondering; what is my relationship with technology?

I'd like to think that my relationship with technology has a decent balance. I use my computers to work, talk to people, and explore things or do independent studies. I use my phone to keep in touch with people on campus, or friends and family from home, as well as remind myself when certain assignments or events are due. In this way, I have a pretty positive relationship with technology, using it for productive things.
Though when it comes to entertainment or gaming, I can draw a line and say there is an unhealthy habit there. I spend a good number of hours on my computer or console gaming, and that can take up a lot of valuable time. There are games that I have over 2,000 hours on, though of course, that is done over a long period of time, rather than a short span. But lately, I've been taking more time off my computer and phone to spend time with people outside of online interactions, real relationships I find to be more valuable in the long run. One concern that comes up with technology is if it is informing us to make us smarter, or providing misinformation. In my opinion, it's both. The internet is a vast archive of information that allows us to access anything in an instant, making research, answering questions, and studying all the more fast. But of course, there are sites that provide false information, or information that is meant to mislead you. I think in this day and age, it's always important to know which websites to use.

As for my online footprint, I keep safe and keep personal information off of public sites. If you look up my name, you won't get me. You'll get the former United States Ambassador of Australia. My accounts each have their own password, and are double verified, meaning it's not so easy to get my information either. I've been online enough to know how to avoid scams, viruses, or bugs. But I also know how to keep a good online presence. I know that you obviously cant say certain things online, and should always treat people with respect, despite the occasional banter. But I also have profiles online, like my LinkedIn profile, that I maintain to hopefully pursue a career through.

In all, I think my relationship with technology is fairly stable, and that I should work to not rely on it so much, but also, to not cut myself off from it. It's an incredible tool that should be utilized, and I know I will in my future, especially as a Game Designer. 

Comments

Popular Posts